A couple more images

Snapped some great shots? Show them off here!

A couple more images

Postby Karl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:29 am

Taken with my Oly OMD EM-5 and 60mm macro lens and 2 x YS110A strobes (snooted).

As the vis was only about 4m the snoots help cut out the crap in the water.

Karl

Juvenile Prickley Leatherjacket

A Dragonette

A juvenile Cuttlefish

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Olympus OMD EM-5 & 60mm Macro lens with twin YS 110 Alpha Strobes and lots of dumb luck!!!
Karl
Instructor

Re: A couple more images

Postby scubadave » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am

More excellent work again there Karl! :D
scubadave
Rescue Diver

Postby Markosixty6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 am

Hey Karl,

How do you find the oly is that a 60mm oly are you using a wide angle at all

Marko
Markosixty6
Bubblemaker

Postby Karl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Markosixty6 wrote:Hey Karl,

How do you find the oly is that a 60mm oly are you using a wide angle at all

Marko

Hiya Marko,

Saw your post in Wetpixel and was going to reply there.

At the moment my prime lens is the 60mm macro mainly due to the conditions here.

I also use the 12 - 50mm lens in the Macro 65 Port (one designed for the 60mm macro lens) and I use some gears made by some guys in Austria. This set up is a compromise as I can not access the 'macro' feature of the 12 - 50mm lens but I can add wet lenses to the front of the port and they do a reasonable job.

Here are a couple of images from the Wreck Trail using the 12 - 50mm lens:

At 12mm

At 38mm

Both images were taken from roughly the same distance.

At this stage I can not afford (or justify) buying a dedicated wide angle lens so the 12 - 50mm lens will be my backup lens for thos dives where I know I can get some 'wide' angle; however, it will be a compromise.

I am off to Tulamben, Bali later in the year and will give both lenses a workout :P

Hope this helps.

Karl

BTW - If you are on Facebook checkout our Facebook page for the Western Australian Underwater Photographic Society.

Olympus OMD EM-5 & 60mm Macro lens with twin YS 110 Alpha Strobes and lots of dumb luck!!!
Karl
Instructor

Postby Markosixty6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey Karl,

like wise mate good to hear from you. i have been watching your work have to say its coming a long in leaps and bounds. mate well done the old ammo just keeps bringing it up. The difference between the G12 and the oly its hardly worth talking about.Just amazing. 12-50 looks like a very nice lens. Quality looks great, i wander just how wide it can go. i"am more interested in the 8mm i think panni for the wide and the 60 oly for macro. My shots are more prodominantly wide but i do like the opt of having a macro.

Got a trip comming up in november would be nice to have something sorted out by then. looks like the trusty G9 is going up on the market soon

Keep the photos coming i dont always comment bit lazy but i do enjoy looking at them and seeing what suprises the Ammo turns out.

Marko
Markosixty6
Bubblemaker

Postby Karl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 am

We have a few new sites here where we dive and they make good wide angle sites - when the vis allows it :oops: - and if I was to be using wide angle more then I like the look of the Panasonic 9 - 18mm.

At this stage I am planning to do mostly macro work when I am in Bali but will use the 12 -50mm on the early dives such as the Liberty Wreck or the Drop Off etc.

Next year I am thinking of heading up to Lembeh Straits (North Suliwasi) and that is purely a muck macro site.

I loved the G12 but as you said it is a big step up to the OMD EM-5 and I am still getting used to it's capabilities - the only issue I have with it is the 'tool' behind it :lol: :lol:

Karl

Karl
Instructor

Postby Markosixty6 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:02 am

I think the tool is doing ok :D yeh it is a compromise 12-50 but at the same time the best of both worlds. I lean more to the dedicated dive being either wide or macro. The 9-18 that's on zoom that might be a nice lens to
Markosixty6
Bubblemaker

Return to Photography & Videography