Shark Shield vs ESDS?

Got a new Kit? Want some advice? Discuss your gear here!

Shark Shield vs ESDS?

Postby Brendo78 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:36 pm

With all that's going on in the water the last year, I'm thinking of getting a ESDS or Shark Shield. I know many say it's not 100% so not worth it, but neither is a seatbelt. If it lowers the possible risk, then it's tempting.

I like the idea of the ESDS as its smaller and doesn't have the lead to shock you, but what about the strength of the signal and other features. At ideas?
Brendo78
Advanced Open Water

Re: Shark Shield vs ESDS?

Postby Chippy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:41 pm

My understanding is that the ESDS isn't as powerful, and not tested as much as the Sharkshield. After seeing an ESDS in a dive shop on sunday, they are a really neat little unit, and dont require the diver to switch them on or off manually, they are water activated. AND unless you touch both the Electrodes at the same time, no risk of a zap. However, I still love my Shark Shield. Until I see more study on the ESDS i won't be buying one.

Just my 2 cents.

Shannon
Chippy
Master SCUBA diver

Postby Captain Starfish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Can't switch it off? Could be annoying when you WANT to get close...
The first rule about Dive club is, you don't talk about Dive club
Captain Starfish
Master Instructor

Postby Chippy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Good point. Never thought of it that way. From what i Hear, has only really been tested on Hawaiian Sharks, Black tip reefies???
Chippy
Master SCUBA diver

Postby Captain Starfish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Should definitely get the ESDS then, there's HEAPS of Hawaiian black tip reefies down here! :lol:
Captain Starfish
Master Instructor

Postby paperghost » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Maybe it's works on wobbegongs.......
paperghost
Dive Master

Postby Captain Starfish » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 am

funny f*cker... :evil:
Captain Starfish
Master Instructor

Postby frogman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 am

If either device makes you feel more comfortable underwater then it's a good investment.
frogman
Rescue Diver

Postby Brendo78 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks, some food for thought
Brendo78
Advanced Open Water

Postby sharkshield » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:57 am

Hi Brend078,

In full disclosure, I'm the one of the new owners of Shark Shield (I live in Perth) and the Managing Director.

Shark Shield has been on the market for 10 years now (we've had several models over the years) and the technology was developed by the NATAL Shark Board out of South Africa who is globally recognised for their expertise in sharks. It's the only product on the market that has lasted more than a couple of years and the only product that's been proven again and again to deter sharks.

I understand that the compact size of the ESDS unit is attractive, however, if you understand the physics of how the device operates, you'll understand why we have such a long antenna. Since the strength of the field comes from the distance between the electrodes and their electrodes are very close together, I would expect their signal to be quite weak. Additionally, the unit only sends out a pulse every 2.5 seconds compared to every 0.6 seconds for Shark Shield. We’ve conducted our own testing and found that at 1m away from the unit, the power of their electric field is 10% of ours. With our longer antenna and more electric field we create, our devices create a 6-10m diameter protective area around the user. This area would be much smaller on an ESDS because the signal is far weaker and the electrodes much closer, causing much less impact on sharks.

Regards,
Amanda
Last edited by sharkshield on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sharkshield
Bubblemaker

Postby Flusha » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Wow that comment was black and white.
Flusha
Advanced Open Water

Postby Diver Albie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm

sharkshield wrote:Word on the street (from a dive shop in Kalbarri and WA Fisheries) is that the units do not work. They have both conducted their own testing and found the units did not have an impact on sharks, which does not surprise me.

Ahh but if you're going to wear something that may or may not deter a shark while not wear something comfortable. Always good to get impartial input.
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter S. Thompson
Diver Albie
Instructor

Postby Brendo78 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Is there not a way to make a shark shield more diver friendly and less shocking. I would have thought a tank mount or some sort of surround around the leash would reduce the shock factor
Brendo78
Advanced Open Water

Postby Chippy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 pm

A few guys i have spoken to put a small hole in tier fin, and use a cable tie to hold the whip in place. Bear in mind though, most guys I dive with are freedivers, so the longer fins help more.
Chippy
Master SCUBA diver

Postby sharkshield » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Guys,

We do have a scuba mount version that has an electrode on the tank and a shorter antenna.....we're waiting on more antennas at the moment, so it's back ordered, but it is available. Here's the link:

http://sharkshield.com/?/m/scientific-scuba7
sharkshield
Bubblemaker

Next

Return to Gear Discussion